CHAIRMAN: DR. KHALID BIN THANI AL THANI
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF: DR. KHALID MUBARAK AL-SHAFI

Sports / Volleyball

Volleyball: Hosting Grand Slam fits into Qatar’s long term plan

Published: 10 Nov 2015 - 12:00 am | Last Updated: 27 Oct 2021 - 07:06 pm
Peninsula

From left: Joel Van Iersel, FIVB Referee Delegate, Khalil Ali Al Malawi, Qatar Volleyball Association (qva) President, Miguel Quintana, Fivb Technical Supervisor, and Jeremy Inson, FIVB media delegate during a press conference on the eve of the Doha Open yesterday. 

Doha: Hosting a Grand Slam event features on the top of the agenda for Qatar Volleyball Association (QFA), it was revealed here yesterday.
Officials of the QVA said they are mulling the possibility of hosting a Grand Slam, an annual series of events staged worldwide with the participation of some of the top ranked athletes and emerging athletes.
QVA President Khalil Ali Al Malawi said Qatar is capable of hosting a Grand Slam.
“I know we are capable of hosting a Grand Slam here in Doha. We have a very successfully first edition of Doha Open last year and we are geared up for this edition also. We are improving the standard of the event every year,” Al Malawi said, while talking to journalists during a press conference on the eve of the Doha Open which kicks off today at the Qatar Volleyball Academy courts at Al Gharafa.
“We have received a positive feedback from FIVB, and the testimonials from the participants speak highly about Qatar’s capacity to host truly impressive volleyball events.”
Talking about extension of the current 3-year contract for the Doha Open, he said: “We have kept all our options open. We are may extend the current contract and also thinking to host the some big events in the coming years.”
FIVB Technical Supervisor Miguel Quintana also of the opinion that Qatar has all the credentials to host a Grand Slam.
 “I think World Tour is the gate for the Grand Slam event. And by organising it successfully last year Qatar is almost ready for a Grand Slam,” said Quintana, who was also present for the press conference.
“FIVB is very satisfied with what we saw last year during the first Doha Open and hoping an even better edition this time as Qatar has the infrastructure requited for it,” he said.
“The process for allotting the Grand Slam needs an application from the interested country. Only after receiving the application FIVB can take a call,” he said.
Qatar Open is a 32-team, men’s only event. It started with a qualification tournament yesterday to determine the final eight spots in the 32-team main draw followed by two days of round robin pool play. The top three teams in the eight pools (24 total teams) will advance from pool play to the single-elimination knockout rounds. 
Pool play will be held on today and tomorrow. 
Also tomorrow will be the first round of single-elimination play. Two more rounds single-elimination and quarterfinals will be played on Thursday. The semifinals and final will be held on Friday. The winners will pocket $11,000, while the silver medalist will get $8,000 and the bronze medalist and fourth placed teams will receive$6,000 and $4,500, respectively.

The Peninsula